These vegan Chia Hemp Seed Cookies are grain-free, nut-free, and sugar-free Paleo cookies that are packed with delicious seeds. They have a nice fluffy texture and the dark chocolate chips are a perfect complement to all those seeds!
As someone who is allergic to fish and shellfish, I am always trying to increase my omega-3s and now that I have reintroduced chia and hemp seeds, I have been experimenting with them in just about everything! In addition to being a great source of omega-3s (ALA), chia seeds are packed with fiber (1 oz = 10g fiber) while hemp seeds are actually a plant-based complete protein source.
What if I follow AIP?
If you are following AIP, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and chocolate are removed during the initial Elimination Phase. However, dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free chocolate can be reintroduced during Stage 1 (I recommend dark chocolate Pascha) while chia and hemps seeds are part of Stage 2 Reintroductions.
If you are looking for an AIP recipe that is a bit similar without seeds, check out these sugar-free Coconut Banana Macaroons. You can swap the chocolate for a carob sauce to keep it AIP Elimination Phase compliant.
Ingredients for Paleo Chia Hemp Seed Cookies:
- Tigernut flour
- Arrowroot powder
- Coconut flour
- Chia seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
- Dark chocolate chips (sugar-free) or carob chips for AIP Elimination
- I have tested and included an Air Fryer option in the recipe instructions if you prefer this over the oven (great for the summer).
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for no more than 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the cookies for up to 3-4 months.
Check out more AIP & Paleo cookies:
- AIP Marbled “Chocolate” Cookies
- Vegan & Paleo Coconut Banana Macaroons (sugar-free)
- AIP Crispy Coconut Tigernut Cookies
Paleo Chia Hemp Seed Cookies (Vegan, Top 8 Free)
These vegan Chia Hemp Seed Cookies are grain-free, nut-free, and sugar-free Paleo cookies that are packed with delicious seeds.
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, mash a banana until fairly smooth. Add tigernut flour, arrowroot powder, coconut flour, chia and hemp seeds, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Step 3 Add in the vanilla extract and melted coconut oil. Stir until fully combined. Let sit for 5 minutes and then add in the chocolate chips.
- Step 4 Using your hands, form 1.5” diameter balls and gently place on the baking sheet. This recipe should have about 8-9 cookies. Don’t press the cookies down – the texture is best if you just let them bake without flattening them.
- Step 5 Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 10-11 minutes. Air fryer option: bake at 300°F for 5 minutes and let sit in the air fryer for another 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes and enjoy.
The Open Cookbook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program, designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The Open Cookbook may receive a small referral commission if you make a purchase using one of the website links, at no additional cost to you.