Warm, filling, and nourishing, this Ground Bison and Vegetable Stew is perfect for cold winter days. Allergy-friendly, AIP/Paleo, and low-FODMAP, this hearty and flavorful stew is one of my family’s favorite meals. The white sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, and pureed butternut squash are such a great complement to the ground bison.
Why do I typically prefer bison over beef?
- Bison is not only significantly lower in saturated fat compared to beef, but it is higher in protein. I find the lower fat content makes it much easier to digest.
- Bison is very high in omega-3 fatty acids, perfect if you are allergic to other high omega-3 food sources, such as salmon.
- I honestly really love the taste. It isn’t gamey at all and has a slightly sweet, almost smoky flavor.
- If you don’t have any access to ground bison, feel free to replace the meat with ground beef or your preferred ground meat.
- For the pureed butternut squash, I recommend purchasing canned butternut squash puree. This saves a lot of time — the brand I recommend is Farmers Market Foods. If you buy canned butternut squash, make sure it doesn’t include any additives.
- I like to massage the kale with avocado oil and salt before adding it to the stew — this helps if you have a sensitive stomach since it helps break down the kale. However, this step is definitely not necessary since cooking the kale will already soften it up.
Ground Bison & Vegetable Stew
Warm, filling, and nourishing, this allergy-friendly bison stew is perfect for cold winter days. Diet Type: SFED, AIP, Paleo, W30
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 large carrots (2 cups), chopped
- 3 celery stalks (1 cup), sliced
- 2 large white sweet potatoes (2 cups), chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, pureed
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- Fresh parsley, topping (optional)
- Step 1 Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the ground bison, breaking into pieces. Once the meat has finished cooking, remove from the pan and set to the side.
- Step 2 Heat the avocado oil in a large stock pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped carrots and celery. Saute for about 8 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the white sweet potatoes, salt and turmeric and combine ingredients. Continue cooking the ingredients over medium heat, stirring periodically, for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Step 4 Add in the broth, pureed butternut squash, kale, and bison. Stir all ingredients together and set to low-medium heat, letting the stew simmer for roughly 30 minutes.
- Step 5 Once the stew is ready, serve warm and top with fresh parsley if desired.