These grain-free Carrot Cake Donut Holes are a perfect AIP spring treat that are also free from nuts, egg, and dairy. There is an option to keep it vegan as well.
Anyone else love donut holes maybe more than actual donuts? Growing up, I loved visiting our local donut shop. I would typically order a simple glazed twist or chocolate éclair, but my favorite part was actually the donut holes the baker would always give me.
While these donut holes might be very different from what I enjoyed as a kid, they are a fun dessert option for the whole family. Plus, they are packed with fiber from the grain-free flour mixture with tigernut and coconut flours along with shredded carrots.
Ingredients for Grain-Free Carrot Cake Donut Holes:
- Tigernut flour
- Coconut flour
- Arrowroot powder
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
- Sea salt
- Shredded carrot
- Coconut butter (my favorite brand)
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Chia egg or gelatin
- Coconut sugar (optional for dusting)
- This recipe has two different “egg” replacement options. Option 1: chia seed egg (AIP reintro stage 2). Option 2: add 1 tbsp gelatin into the dry ingredients. To make a chia egg, add 1 tbsp chia seeds into a small bowl with 3 tbsp water. Mix well with a fork and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After mixing together all of the ingredients, let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes before forming donut holes to allow for the coconut flour to absorb some of the moisture.
- Be sure to peel carrots before shredding (this will improve texture and flavor). I recommend using wither a box grater, food processor, or a julienne peeler to shred/grate the carrot.
- If you would prefer to make regular donuts, this batter should work as well. Just spoon the batter into a lightly-greased donut mold instead.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to a week. Also, the donut holes freeze well for up to 3-4 months.
Check out other AIP and allergy-friendly donut recipes:
Grain-Free Carrot Cake Donut Holes (AIP, Vegan)
These grain-free Carrot Cake Donut Holes are a perfect AIP spring treat.
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- Egg Replacement
- Option 1: chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds added to 3 tbsp water)
- Option 2: 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin (add gelatin to dry ingredients)
- Topping (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2 If using a chia egg, prep this now. In a small bowl or cup, add 1 tbsp chia seeds with 3 tbsp water. Using a fork, mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Using a box grater, food processor, or julienne peeler, grate/shred carrot and set aside.
- Step 4 In a small bowl, whisk together the tigernut flour, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and sea salt until well combined. If using gelatin instead of a chia egg, add 1 tbsp of gelatin to the dry ingredients.
- Step 5 In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix the coconut oil, coconut butter, and maple syrup. Make sure the coconut oil and coconut butter are fully melted.
- Step 6 Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well to fully combine. If using a chia egg, fold the chia egg into the batter. Stir the shredded carrots into the batter.
- Step 7 Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes before forming donut holes. Don’t skip this step – letting the batter sit allows for the flour mixture to absorb some of the moisture.
- Step 8 To make the donut holes, measure 2 tbsp of batter and form balls using the palms of your hands. Gently place onto the baking sheet with parchment paper. This recipe should have roughly 1 donut holes.
- Step 9 Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for roughly 15 minutes.
- Step 10 Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Dust the donut holes with coconut sugar if desired.