Filled with a delicious combination of herbs and vegetables, this Parsnip & Tuscan Kale Winter Soup is a nourishing AIP and Paleo meal. There is just something about the flavors of rosemary and thyme that feels so warm and cozy, perfect for the cold winter months.
If you are following the elimination phase of AIP or are sensitive to nightshades, parsnips are a wonderful addition to soups in place of potatoes. Parsnips have a creamy texture which really complements the Tuscan kale, mushrooms, and herbs in this comforting winter soup. The addition of turkey and parsley meatballs makes for an easy and filling protein.
Ingredients for Parsnip & Tuscan Kale Winter Soup:
- Cremini mushrooms
- Tuscan Kale
- Ground turkey
- Sea salt
- I recommend using fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley for this recipe. Fast and easy tip – add the sprigs of thyme directly into the soup and just remove the stems before serving.
- If fresh herbs are unavailable to you, feel free to swap for dried herbs. If using dried herbs instead of fresh, reduce the amount by 1/3 since dried herbs are much more potent.
- This recipe should make around 12 turkey meatballs. I usually prepare the meatballs while the soup is simmering on the stove, but you can also make them in advance and have them ready to go.
- Store the soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. The soup also keeps well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
OTHER COMFORTING WINTER SOUPS:
Parsnip & Tuscan Kale Winter Soup (AIP, Pale)
Filled with a delicious combination of herbs and vegetables, this Parsnip & Tuscan Kale Winter Soup is a nourishing AIP and Paleo meal.
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 parsnips (1-1/2 cups), chopped
- 2 large carrots (1-1/2 cups), chopped
- 3 celery stalks (1 cup), sliced
- 6-8 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups broth (chicken or turkey)
- 3 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 4-5 tuscan kale leaves (4 cups), chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for the meatballs. While the oven is warming up, start preparing the soup.
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped parsnips, carrots, and celery. Saute for about 8-10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the mushrooms, broth, rosemary, sprigs of thyme, and 1/2 tsp salt. Continue cooking the ingredients over low-medium heat, stirring periodically for another 20 minutes or until the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Step 4 While the soup is simmering, prepare the meatballs. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, parsley, and 1/4 tsp salt. Using your hands, form 1-1/2 inch diameter meatballs (around 11-12) and place onto the baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake the meatballs for 15-16 minutes.
- Step 5 While the meatballs are baking in the oven, thoroughly clean, destem, and chop the kale and add into the soup.
- Step 6 Once the meatballs are ready, remove from the oven and add the meatballs into the soup. Stir to fully combine ingredients and let simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Step 7 Once the soup is ready, remove the thyme stems and serve warm.