After reintroducing plantains into my diet, I was so excited to experiment with sweet plantain recipes. These delicious and moist AIP/Paleo plantain mini cakes are not too sweet and make a wonderful grain-free, nut-free, and egg-free treat.
I typically enjoy these plantain mini-cakes as either a healthy dessert or afternoon snack, but they can also make a filling and wholesome breakfast.
- I use 6 oz. ramekins for this recipe. If you don’t have any ramekins, you can substitute a muffin pan to create the mini cakes.
Sweet Plantain Mini Cakes
These delicious AIP/Paleo plantain mini cakes are grain-free, nut-free, and egg-free treats. They are a perfect dessert that isn't too sweet or they can be enjoyed as a filling breakfast. Diet Type: SFED, AIP, Paleo
- 3/4 cups cassava flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 plantains, very ripe
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt (or preferred dairy-free yogurt)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 tbsp coconut milk (or preferred dairy-free milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Gelatin Egg
- 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat up water for the gelatin egg.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Step 3 Peel and mash ripe plantains until fairly smooth.
- Step 4 In a medium bowl, combine the plantains with the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Step 5 Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fully combine.
- Step 6 Next, make the gelatin egg by pouring 1 tbsp lukewarm water in a small cup and sprinkling the gelatin on top. Combine the water and gelatin into a paste. Add 2 tbsp of hot water to the gelatin mixture and whisk vigorously until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Step 7 Fold the gelatin egg mixture into the batter until fully combined. Be sure to not overmix.
- Step 8 Evenly distribute the batter into the ramekins placed on a baking sheet or into a lined muffin pan. Top each mini cake with a thin slice of plantain for decoration if desired.
- Step 9 Place the baking sheet with ramekins or muffin pan into the oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Check around 35 minutes, testing with a toothpick.
- Step 10 Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes to set.
The Open Cookbook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program, designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The Open Cookbook may receive a small referral commission if you make a purchase using one of the website links, at no additional cost to you.