This recipe calls to mind late night meals during my college semester abroad in Rome, enjoying delicious antipasti with friends. It is such a simple vegan recipe packed with so much flavor. It tastes great on its own or mixed with your favorite gluten-free pasta.
- This recipe “sweats” the zucchini with salt to remove excess moisture before pan frying. The salting process will reduce any sogginess due to zucchini’s high moisture content.
- Small zucchini work best since they don’y have as many seeds and the texture will be more firm.
Pan Fried Zucchini & Basil
A simple and easy vegan recipe, packed with so much flavor. It tastes great on its own or mixed with your favorite gluten-free pasta. Diet Type: SFED, AIP, Paleo, W30, Vegan
- 4 small zucchini
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Step 1 Thoroughly clean the zucchini and chop off the ends. Slice zucchini into 1/4″ rounds.
- Step 2 Add the zucchini into a bowl and sprinkle with salt on all sides.
- Step 3 Spread the zucchini onto a large plate or baking sheet and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Step 4 After 30 minutes, use a paper towel to gently blot the zucchini, soaking up any excess moisture.
- Step 5 Coat a pan with avocado oil and once it has reached high heat, place the zucchini into the pan, with no overlapping. After 3 minutes and the zucchini is lightly browned, flip to the opposite side.
- Step 6 While zucchini is frying, chop up the basil. Add basil when zucchini is almost done and gently toss.
- Step 7 Serve and enjoy. This recipe is best served right away.