If you love basil, this gluten-free, vegan, and AIP pesto flatbread is calling your name.
The flatbread is yeast-free and infused with an allergy-friendly pesto in the dough, topped with a little flaky salt to tie it all together. It is perfect as a side to a bowl of soup or it can even be used as a pizza crust. The coconut yogurt is a secret ingredient, providing a light and soft quality to the flatbread.
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Pesto Flatbread:
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Cassava Flour
- Arrowroot Powder
- Tigernut Flour
- Baking Soda
- Palm Shortening
- Coconut Yogurt (no gums – see recommendations below)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- For the coconut yogurt, be sure to use a brand without any additives like guar gum. My personal favorites are Cocojune and Anita’s.
- Store the flatbread in an air-tight container. If not topped with additional pesto, the flatbread can be kept on the counter for 2-3 days. Otherwise, store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. I love to reheat the flatbread in a toaster oven before enjoying.
Gluten-Free Pesto Flatbread (AIP & Yeast-Free)
This AIP, yeast-free and allergy-friendly pesto flatbread is perfect with a bowl of soup or can be used as a pizza crust.
- 3/4 cup cassava
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 1/2 cup tigernut
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup palm shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 oz coconut yogurt (see recommendations)
- 1/4 cup and 1 tbsp pesto (see pesto below)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Maldon salt flakes (optional)
- 3 cups basil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2 Set aside the coconut yogurt on the counter to warm up a bit before adding to the dough.
- Step 3 Feel free to use your own favorite pesto recipe or follow the next step.
- Step 4 If making the simple basil sauce included here, add basil, extra-virgin olive oil, and sea salt to a blender. Blend ingredients until smooth.
- Step 5 In a medium bowl, mix together the cassava, arrowroot, tigernut, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Step 6 Add the melted palm shortening and warm water to the dry ingredients and mix until well-combined.
- Step 7 Add the coconut yogurt and pesto to the mixture, stirring until well-combined.
- Step 8 As the last step, add in the apple cider vinegar and fold into the batter mixture. The texture should be similar to a thick pancake batter.
- Step 9 Gently pour the batter onto the baking sheet with parchment paper, forming into whatever shape you prefer (round, oblong) with a spatula. Spread the batter until you reach a thickness of 1/4″ inch. Lightly sprinkle with Maldon salt flakes if desired.
- Step 10 Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes before enjoying. Top with extra pesto if desired.