This AIP, Paleo, and vegan recipe is simple, healthy, and flavorful. I really enjoy pairing white sweet potatoes with fennel — they bring a surprisingly creamy and almost buttery quality to the dish.
If you have never tried white sweet potatoes, I highly recommend it. They are an AIP/Paleo replacement for the standard white potato and have a milder taste compared to the orange sweet potato, making the white sweet potato a bit more versatile.
For this recipe, I used the Japanese white sweet potato (Murasaki variety) — it has a deep-purple skin with white flesh. Because this variety has a drier texture compared to orange sweet potatoes, they roast beautifully at a high heat.
How do you get crispy roasted sweet potatoes?
The trick is to soak the potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes prior to roasting. This helps remove some of the excess starch and gets the potatoes nice and crispy on the outside.
While this step is not necessary, I think it is worth the extra prep.
ROASTED FENNEL & WHITE SWEET POTATOES
This AIP, Paleo, and vegan recipe for roasted fennel and white sweet potatoes is simple, healthy, and flavorful. I really enjoy pairing white sweet potatoes with fennel — they bring a surprisingly creamy and almost buttery quality to the dish.
- 2 medium white sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt to taste
- Step 1 Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut sweet potatoes into roughly 3/4″ cubes.
- Step 2 Place the sweet potatoes into a bowl of cold water. Let the potatoes soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes and rise with water. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a towel.
- Step 3 Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Step 4 Cut fennel into 1/4″ slices, preserving a sliver of the core to keep the fennel intact.
- Step 5 Toss the sweet potatoes and fennel with avocado oil. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Step 6 Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the sweet potatoes and fennel onto the baking sheet, spreading out to ensure no overlapping.
- Step 7 Bake for 20-25 minutes. Flip the sweet potatoes and fennel and place back into the oven for the remainder of cooking time or until golden and crispy.
- Step 8 Let cool for a few minutes and sprinkle with salt. Serve and enjoy immediately.